Thursday, October 13, 2011

DO NO PASS GO. GO STRAIGHT TO NINA SIMONE.


DO NOT PASS GO. GO STRAIGHT TO NINA SIMONE.


DJ Shuffle with my ITunes Library is sometimes on point. When he gets it right with my mood, i am surprised and delighted, and I am always in the mood for Nina Simone.  

And I have to tell you to run, leap, do whatever you have to to hear her voice.

Nina Simone is like a requirement for music listeners as they are of a certain level of development.  Like the converse tennis shoe is a staple for the male wardrobe, Nina is part of the fabric of your closet, the make of your identity.  And if like me you did not grow up listening to her the good news is she shows you how to sing and how to sing well in minutes.

When her anthology first was listed in GQ, I thought here's a descent album with maybe a few songs to help put me in the know.  I really thought i was sampling a wine that i might never acquire a taste for.  But I trusted the recommendation and played song after song. Singing with feeling does not even bring to  describe her methods.

Simone uses singing with feeling to charter new ground, she sings about black pride and revolution while delivering a soulful jazz that is unparalleled.

Simone is part of the American story, the landscape.  She is the ultimate musician singer songwriter.  And If you don't have her on your play list then you will never have DJ shuffle force you into singing with feeling and emotion.



DO NOT PASS GO. GO STRAIGHT TO NINA SIMONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment